The Jayco/Starcraft Owner's Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Rv lot Fort Myers, Fl available Jan 10th
bike rack for JayFlight EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 4:25 pm by diane347

» breakaway switch
bike rack for JayFlight EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm by Teddy O

» starcraft grill
bike rack for JayFlight EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 5:22 pm by beanz6

» 33 Miles-Gone Mp3
bike rack for JayFlight EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 11:57 am by yvanaquenb

» The Promise
bike rack for JayFlight EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 6:07 pm by yvanaquenb

» Temple Run For Pc Fixing Error 2.4.5 Download
bike rack for JayFlight EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 2:13 pm by yvanaquenb

» Good morning world!
bike rack for JayFlight EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 1:28 pm by panthercity

» Water Line Freezing Problem
bike rack for JayFlight EmptyFri May 03, 2013 10:03 pm by FXK

» digital tv reception
bike rack for JayFlight EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 pm by pat yurchak

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

bike rack for JayFlight

3 posters

Go down

bike rack for JayFlight Empty bike rack for JayFlight

Post  julwarner Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:06 pm

So, we just bought our JayFlight 28bhs and were told by the dealer we would be able to use a bumber hitch for our bike rack (4 bikes), but have decided after much discussion with others that we need to look at another option that does not use the bumber on the TT....so, my question is....is our best bet to take it back to the dealer and have them install something on the frame?? My husband is pretty handy - is there something out there that anyone can suggest??? Will attaching to the frame effect the warranty in any way???

julwarner

Number of posts : 3
Current Rig : 2009 JayFlight 28bhs
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

bike rack for JayFlight Empty Re: bike rack for JayFlight

Post  Turk2500 Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:30 pm

I would e-mail Jayco (don't ask the dealer) and ask them if any type of bike rack (frame mounted or otherwise) will compromise the TT warranty, because the Jayco warranty can save you a lot of money should you have to use it. Keep in mind any weight you add to the rear of the TT may decrease your established loaded tongue weight.

The following thread may provide you with some insight: LINK

Turk2500
Turk2500
Turk2500

Number of posts : 33
Current Rig : '05' Eagle 278 FBS
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  ecggret Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:32 pm

I can relate to your concern of the best way to carry multiple bicycles. My wife insisted on the Jayfeather 29D. I'm sure she was influenced by the looks of the integrated bumper. However, it does not accommodate any of our three bicycle racks. I contacted Jayco and they said not to modify the frame in any way. That eliminated bike racks on the rear of the trailer. One of the technicians at the dealer suggested mounting the bikes on the front of the tow vehicle. I liked that idea better than any of the suggestions my fellow campers and RV forums offered, such as mounting them high on the front of the trailer. There are racks made to do just that, but it makes loading and unloading bikes too difficult. The same goes for mounting them on the top of the tow vehicle. I found a front mounted hitch on Amazon.com for just over 100 bucks and it was relatively easy to install. It used existing holes in the front frame of the TV except for 2, 3/8 holes that I had to drill. We have taken several trips with this configuration. (One of our bike racks mounted easily in the 2" receiver on the hitch.) We had to add a rod (also from Amazon) to convert the female bike so that it would mount level. The bikes partially block one of the headlights but since we never drive at night, it is of no concern.

With respect to the link that described bumpers breaking welds, we had the same experience with two of the trailers we previously owned in past years. Both broke the bumper-to-frame welds. You would think we would have learned after the first time but we were assured by the dealer it would not happen with their trailer, (they even supplied the bike rack) but it did. We were fortunate that both times it happened, we discovered the problem before the bikes were seriously damaged (Neither trailer was made by Jayco, by the way.) I'm not too disappointed that the bikes are now up front where I can keep an eye on them!

Last edited by ecggret on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : needed to corect spelling and clairfy meaning.)
ecggret
ecggret

Number of posts : 8
Current Rig : 2008 Jayco Jay Feather 29D, 1500 Suburban
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down