FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

sway bars needed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sway bars needed?

Post  gserve on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi, I have a 2006 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 186. I have had it just over a year. I have never taken it out on the interstate and never had a problem with sway on 2 lane highways going 55-60 MPH. I am nervous to take it on the interstate because of being passed by big rigs etc. Do you think I should install sway control? I do have a WD hitch. This trailer is only 19' long including the "A" frame. Opinions please. Thanks

gserve

Number of posts : 22
Current Rig : 2006 Jayco Jay feather sport 186
Registration date : 2009-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: sway bars needed?

Post  Frank P. Martin on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Gee, it doesn't appear that you got any response to your question. Unfortunately, there' s not much activity on this site any more. But I'm sure there's someone out there that has a trailer similar in size to yours. Maybe they'll chime in.

Sway questions are probably one of the more difficult ones to answer, simply because there are so many variables involved. For the most part, I'm like you. I only have a weight distributing hitch with no sway control, but my trailer (see sig below) is about another nine feet longer (28"4") than yours and I'd estimate it to be about twice as heavy (about 7,000 lbs); plus, I think you might be on a single axle and I'm on a tandem axle. These differences alone make for an "apples to oranges" comparison. Therefore, I don't know how much help I'll be to you.

One important piece of information that's missing is what are you towing with? Using a tow vehicle that's underrated for the trailer you're towing could meet with disasterous results. You say you don't have any problems going 50-55 MPH on two lane roads. If you're not comfortable yet towing on an Interstate, why not first try towing on some non-Interstate four lanes that have speed limits in the range you've been towing on two lane roads. Then, if the trailer still seems as stable as on a two lane road, try towing on the Interstate.

I know that just 5 or 10 MPH faster can sometimes change everything in the sway and/or stability department so be alert for any problems. I towed my TT at 75-80 MPH briefly on the PA Turnpike when a guy I attempted to pass kept speeding up. I consider my combination very stable. However, my biggest fear is freak, sudden crosswinds more than anything. I've experienced a few of these in my travels.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.
Frank P. Martin

Number of posts : 37
Current Rig : 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS
Registration date : 2009-02-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  winbadgers on Thu May 06, 2010 5:52 pm

If you are not comfortable... you probably should have it.
winbadgers

Number of posts : 60
Current Rig : 2006 Jayco 27 BH
Registration date : 2009-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top